Close this search box.

Trip Planner

e.g. Rubey Park

e.g. Cemetery Lane & Highway 82


The Traveler provides shared-ride transportation to persons who live within the service area in Garfield County and have a disability which prevents them from driving or utilizing public transportation.

An application and assessment process must be completed in order to determine eligibility.

The Traveler service area is divided into the two following sections:

The eastern section includes the following:

  • All addresses within New Castle city limits.
  • All addresses within Glenwood Springs city limits.
  • All addresses within Carbondale city limits.
  • All addresses within two miles of Interstate 70 between New Castle and Glenwood Springs.
  • All addresses within two miles of Hwy 82 between Glenwood Springs and Carbondale.

The western section includes the following:

  • All addresses within Silt city limits.
  • All addresses within Rifle city limits.
  • All addresses within the community of Battlement Mesa.

All addresses within two miles of Interstate 70 between Silt and Battlement Mesa.

If you are not sure if you live within the service area, or would like to request that a paper application be mailed to you, please call Paratransit Dispatch at (970) 384-4855.

Hours & Days of Operation

The Traveler operates Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding Holidays observed by Garfield County.

How to Apply

If you would like to have a paper application mailed to you, please call Paratransit Dispatch at (970) 384-4855, otherwise please fill out the online application linked to the right.

Here is what to expect during the application process:

Submit Your Application:

  • Complete and submit the application form – incomplete applications may be returned which could delay the process.
  • Application Review: We will carefully review your application after submission.

Scheduling Your Assessment:

The application and assessment process for RFTA Traveler can usually be completed within 2 weeks. To ensure a smooth experience:

  • We recommend calling us within a week of submitting your application to schedule your assessment.
  • If we don’t hear from you within a week, we will try to contact you by phone to schedule the assessment.
  • If we can’t reach you by phone, we’ll send a reminder letter to the address on your application.

Assessment Completion & Eligibility Determination:

  • Sometimes we might need a little more information from you to complete your application. To avoid any delays, we will contact you if that is the case.
  • Once we have all the information and your assessment is complete, we will let you know whether you are eligible for Traveler service.
  • We will send you a written letter within 21 days of completing the application and assessment process to let you know about your eligibility.

Eligibility Duration:

  • Long-Term Eligibility: Eligibility can last up to 3 years, depending on your needs.
  • Temporary Conditions: Eligibility will last from 30 days up to 1 year.


  • Applications on file for more than 90 days without completing an assessment process will be considered withdrawn.
  • While Traveler offers accessible transportation, there may be situations where using it alongside other services might be necessary for your specific destination needs.
  • Similar to regular bus service, there may be multiple stops enroute to your destination.

Other Transportation Options

All RFTA vehicles, including all fixed-route buses, are equipped with lifts or ramps to accommodate various passenger loading needs.

If you need to connect or transfer between the eastern and western sections of the service area or if your transportation needs extend beyond our service area, it is possible to schedule rides to or from a RFTABustang, or Greyhound bus stop within the service area. 

The City of Parachute provides transportation within and between Parachute and Rifle through its Parachute Area Transit System (PATS).

Please use the forms on our Contact Us page to ask a question or submit a comment, complaint, suggestion, or commendation. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can properly address your concern. Your request will be routed to the appropriate department. You may also email [email protected].
Scroll to Top